27 May 2009

Vacation: Bermuda Port of Call

After about five days at sea, in which we saw about three ships, we arrived in King's Wharf, Bermuda. Once we got off the boat (which was a very confusing process), Mom and I took the ferry to Hamilton.

We walked around the city and managed to find the Bermuda National Library. Mom had read somewhere on the Internets that the library housed John Smith's diary or memoir, and people should ask to see it. 

Well, we tried. Unfortunately, the staff had no idea what we were talking about.

So, we moved on to other sites. We went inside the cathedral and the Assembly House.

Then we headed back toward the docks on the bus. We stopped at Horseshoe Bay, which was stunning. I don't really like the beach, but this one was just beautiful. The water must have been every shade of blue and the rocks were black and rugged. I adore rocks and water together, so this was wonderful.


Our next stop was Gibb's Hill Lighthouse.


I climbed to the top and was rewarded with breathtaking views of Bermuda everywhere I looked.


We headed back to the ship on the bus. This was the most painful bus ride of my life. It was full, so we had to stand and hold onto the straps. And I'm short! So I had to stretch to reach the straps. The bus driver would speed around tight curves and then slam on the brakes when someone requested a stop. The ride was about thirty minutes of pure torture.

After the bus ride and bit of shopping, it was a relief to climb back onboard the ship and lay down!

2 comments:

The Bouldins said...

Wait ... are you telling me you found something on the Internet that wasn't true??? I didn't think that was possible! :P

That's really too bad about not getting to see the diary. That would have been really cool.

You've already got me wanting to take a cruise!

SKJoiner said...

I know. Mom was really mad she didn't get to see the diary. I just wanted to see him refer to himself in the third person.

You should take a cruise. Even if you end up not liking it, it's definitely an experience.