13 September 2021

A Barbie Doll House Is Special, Part 2

Four-shelf wire shelving unit
Four-shelf wire shelving unit used as the 
frame for the Barbie house.
The pandemic hit, and Indiana shut down just as I had gotten an idea for how to build a new Barbie house to replace the old one.

What could I do?

I was working at home like a large portion of the country.

So, like a large portion of the country, I turned to Amazon and ordered what I thought I would need. Everything arrived quickly, and then it sat in my house for more than a year.

I had other projects to finish, and by the time I completed those, I had returned to working in my office cubicle.

Finally, more than a year later, I opened the boxes.

One four-shelf wire shelving unit on wheels, a box of 15 white foam core boards, various rolls of Contact Paper and 5x7 picture mats.

Testing the zip ties
Testing the zip ties.
After assembling the shelves, I tested my theory that zip ties could be used for assembly. They worked perfectly.

On to construction!

Unlike the original Barbie house, this one would be three stories with a rooftop garden. I had Contact Paper for the exterior and interior walls as well as the ceiling. At this point, I wasn't sure if I was going to use the foam core board for the flooring or if I was going to use wood panels from a hardware store. I would have to test to see.

But first the walls.

I cut the side panels with an X-Acto knife, then covered the exterior with a brick facade and the interior with the appropriate wallpaper and trimmed as necessary.

Side wall
One of the side walls.

Interior side wall
Interior side wall.

Interior side wall
Interior side wall.

By the time I started attaching the front panels, I realized I forgot to cut windows out. Oops! I would have to think of a Plan B for that.
Exterior front missing windows
Exterior front, sadly 
missing windows.

Interior first floor walls
Interior first floor walls.

Interior second floor walls
Interior second floor walls.

Interior third floor walls
Interior third floor walls.

I covered the roof in strips of silver duct tape. Then I tested the idea of a foam core board floor and decided it would work perfectly. So, I had to order more Contact Paper.
Roof with duct tape
Roof covered in duct tape.

Once it arrived, I finished the floors and attached them to the shelves.

Interior first floor
Interior first floor.

Interior second floor
Interior second floor.

Interior third floor
Interior third floor.

Furniture updates would be next.

to be continued

No comments: